Thursday, April 1, 2010

Today is errand day. Mosta the supplies for the Hilltop Café are delivered, but about once a week The Man and/or Good EatNZ drive in to Christchurch to do the banking and pick up odds and ends. Today, they have invited me to go with them. I think they wanna show me off in alla the foodie shops, if you know what a I mean, with me being the next big (OK, small) Celebrity Chef. Cousin Gino is coming, too. He wants to show me all the special places in Christchurch.

Our first stop wazza a place called Blazey Uniforms. They sell alla the cheffy uniforms and stuff. Good EatNZ runs in and comes back with a new jacket for me!!! She say,”Luigi, you can’t be travelling the world and expect to be the next big (er, small) Celebrity Chef if you don’t have your name and logo on your jacket! So, I had them make this special for you!” Oh! She’za so sweet! Molto Dolce!




Our next stop wassa Trent’s. Itsa the big, wholesale store for the hospitality industry. You have to have a business license to shop here. And you gotta have a Liquor License iffa you wanna buy the booze. I am impressed with the selection. I did notta think Christchurch would have this.

Then, a few streets over we go to the Asian Food Warehouse! Mamma Mia! This place is huge! It hazza everything: Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean and things I don’t even recognize! More kinds of noodles thanna the old burned down pasta factory! And, rice! I never saw so many types of rice! I am justa learning the Asian cooking (You know, I was born inna China, but left when I was only a few days old) and this place could make it very fun! Good EatNZ, she buy wonton skins, sushi rice and mirin. Sounds like shes planning on Japanese night, to me!


Then we stop atta the C4 Coffee Headquarters, the local coffee bean roasters for the Hilltop. I been lookin’ forward to this. Those C4 Flat Whites I been drinkin’ at the Hilltop are amazing. According to my hosts, these are the best roasted beans inna NZ, and these peeps, they are way cool and trendy, too! Gino takes me inna the back where they actually roast the coffee beans and shows me how they do it!




The nexta stop blows me away. The Mediterranean Food Company! Holy Ravioli! Who woulda thought a city like Christchurch hazza one store stocking alla this pasta, and carcioffi, and grappa! And they have alla the salami, proscuitto and lovely cured meats from Italia! And, The Man and Good EatNZ are good friends with the lady that works there! Now, I am seriously impressed witha this place!





Gino, he wants to show me around the center of town, so we jump onna the Christchurch Tram for a bit of sightseeing. Christchurch, izza known as the Garden City, and I can see why! Beautiful flowers are planted everywhere. Inna the beds in front of Victoria Square, they’ve even planted Parsley – gardeners after my own heart! Our next stop onna the Tram is Cathedral Square, famous for the bigga Anglican Cathedral. Gino tells me there is usually a market selling local crafts and there is a giant chess board with lotsa guys playing chess.






We get back to Good EatNZ house inna the late afternoon. I check in with Flo & Myrtle while The Man and Good EatNZ put an organic, ummm, Whisper! Chicken on the rotisserie. Tomorrow is Good Friday, so I volunteer to make summa Hot Cross Buns for the Hilltop. My hosts are pleased with my generosity.

Wella, itsa been a big day for a little guy. I’m gonna watcha some Rugby and go to sleep!





No comments:

Post a Comment